The Sect of The Horned God | Forum

AK Mod
AK Jul 30

Quote from Don Luciferi
I'm a Satanist because Satanism is my religion. 
Yes, but that hinges on this strange hybrid of circular reasoning and a null reference unless we are to assume that by Satanism, you're referring to an unmodified version of what LaVey was driving at - bearing in mind too, that other people will have wildly different interpretations of the word; almost none of which work in your favor socially. If there are some modifications or deviations from what LaVey outlined - for instance, I notice you mention reincarnation - how significant are they? And more importantly what do you gain by calling it Satanism - a contentious label and claim - as opposed to, say, occultism?
The Forum post is edited by AK Jul 30
Don Luciferi
Don Luciferi Jul 30
Quote from AK
Quote from Don Luciferi
I'm a Satanist because Satanism is my religion. 
Yes, but that hinges on this strange hybrid of circular reasoning and a null reference unless we are to assume that by Satanism, you're referring to an unmodified version of what LaVey was driving at - bearing in mind too, that other people will have wildly different interpretations of the word.; almost none of which work in your favor socially. If there are some modifications - for instance, I notice you mention reincarnation - how significant are they? And more importantly what do you gain by calling it Satanism - a contentious label and claim - as opposed to, say, occultism?

I don't talk about occultism. If there exists a spiritual reality then it's completely independent of what we believe. The universe don't give a shit about us.

I don't need to call my religion Satanism but people who visit me will find out I'm a Satanist if I don't hide my alter... 

AK Mod
AK Jul 30
Thought experiment:

Let's say I call myself a Satanist. Like you, I happen to have an altar. Our altars look uncannily similar. A skull, some bones, maybe a polyurethane baphomet statue (with tits, of course), a dagger, a chalice, a bell, candles, etc. 

And let's say - again, totally hypothetically - I use this altar for the same reasons you do: to facilitate my practice of Satanism. 

Unlike you, however, this practice entails the torture and eventual ritual violation and killing of animals *emphatic hypothetically*. What means do you have at your disposal to prevent yourself from being associated with people like me? You can argue "that's not true Satanism - the Satanic Bible and the C/S is explicitly against the torture of and sacrifice of non-human animals", but, in turn, I can just shrug and say "well yeah, but it's Satanism - Satan is the father of all lies - so of course we're going to lie about that part in print, we're not stupid - and besides! you're not an actual card carrying member of the C/S, anyhow". By what standard are these statements compared for accuracy? Is it that you're practicing true Satanism, and I'm not  or vice versa? or are they just different types of Satanism? And how do you defend any of these positions in a world where the word has come to mean so many different things as if to mean nothing specific at all? 'point being: some of these "boxes" or distinctions turn out to be pretty important. 

*which is indirectly what I'm getting at by the "null pointer" analogy. We risk over-writing pieces of our own linguistic code and the thought processes of those invoking or referencing this code in dangerously unpredictable ways without some sort of clear instantiation or definition of what this object "Satanism" is classified as apart from the nebulous pejorative it historically has meant. Even those who take the more sane approach of it being a nebulous pejorative must then concede that it is a label for others - the orthodoxy to apply to the exceptions / deviants, rather than for the heterodoxy to just up and declare themselves to be.

Don Luciferi
Don Luciferi Jul 30
That's the reason why I will hide my altar because Satanism are easy recognised with the symbols and the altar, and people associate Satanism with killing animals and blood drinking etc... 

I think people who are into Satanism for evil, animal killing, blood drinking etc would leave it again when they grows more mature or get psychiatric help. I don't need to talk about "true" vs "false" Satanism because I'm first of all not responsible for what other Satanists are doing. When I focus on Satan as a symbol then I would only leave Satanism if my character or personality changed in a way that I could no longer identify myself with the character of Satan. 

The Forum post is edited by Don Luciferi Jul 30
AK Mod
AK Jul 30
Yes, and that's common among many "Satanists", and there's a certain irony to this - layers of irony if you really consider the origins of ritual sacrifice. It gets even more perplexing when factoring in those types who, quite blindly and stupidly, take Satan to be mere transposition of some other god from some other pantheon. 

Moreover, is it fair to say that all religious practitioners for whom ritual sacrifice is an aspect of worship are immature or in need of psychiatric help? Is it the sacrifice that warrants this assessment? could not the same dismissal be cast for religiosity in a broad sense with or without animal sacrifice? 

Additionally, if Satanism is not synonymous with evil - a slanderous word to affix to shunned or misunderstood practices - then what is? Is there a more suitable pointer to evil than Satan? Last I checked, at least in English, that association is basically implicit and understood. 

These questions point at all sorts of neat bugs and worms to be found when kicking over the stones and stumps of language and communication. It almost mirrors a more contentious debate going on today with regards to discriminatory language, what defines gender, and so on. Is a woman who thinks she's a man a man? Is a socially and morally responsible citizen that thinks they're a Satanist a Satanist? Can these sorts of things truly be regulated by decree, convincing arguments, or law? or do they have a sort of life of their own? If the latter is true, as it seems to be with nearly every other word in any other language, is the public really misinformed at all to think that Satanism means exactly what they think it means? Perhaps the task of "educating" the public as to what the real meaning of any word is is a sisyphean task best handled and left to trolls and narcissistic attention seekers.

There's a great deal to be studied regarding communication and human psychology afoot, and yet - to your point - it is often over-looked in favor of uselessly offering other alternative definitions that no one will quite agree on to the alternative definitions we already have which no one ever quite agreed on to begin with. *which, perhaps, makes SotHG also a bit a head of the curve by not explicitly making use of the word Satan per se'

More importantly, in what way do you identify with the character of Satan?

Don Luciferi
Don Luciferi Jul 30
Are you saying that Satanism actually don't exists?
AK Mod
AK Jul 30
"First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is." 'greatest trick he ever played, and such.
Don Luciferi
Don Luciferi Jul 30
And your point is?
The Forum post is edited by Don Luciferi Jul 30
Don Luciferi
Don Luciferi Jul 30
Quote from AK Yes, and that's common among many "Satanists", and there's a certain irony to this - layers of irony if you really consider the origins of ritual sacrifice. It gets even more perplexing when factoring in those types who, quite blindly and stupidly, take Satan to be mere transposition of some other god from some other pantheon. 

Moreover, is it fair to say that all religious practitioners for whom ritual sacrifice is an aspect of worship are immature or in need of psychiatric help? Is it the sacrifice that warrants this assessment? could not the same dismissal be cast for religiosity in a broad sense with or without animal sacrifice? 

Additionally, if Satanism is not synonymous with evil - a slanderous word to affix to shunned or misunderstood practices - then what is? Is there a more suitable pointer to evil than Satan? Last I checked, at least in English, that association is basically implicit and understood. 

These questions point at all sorts of neat bugs and worms to be found when kicking over the stones and stumps of language and communication. It almost mirrors a more contentious debate going on today with regards to discriminatory language, what defines gender, and so on. Is a woman who thinks she's a man a man? Is a socially and morally responsible citizen that thinks they're a Satanist a Satanist? Can these sorts of things truly be regulated by decree, convincing arguments, or law? or do they have a sort of life of their own? If the latter is true, as it seems to be with nearly every other word in any other language, is the public really misinformed at all to think that Satanism means exactly what they think it means? Perhaps the task of "educating" the public as to what the real meaning of any word is is a sisyphean task best handled and left to trolls and narcissistic attention seekers.

There's a great deal to be studied regarding communication and human psychology afoot, and yet - to your point - it is often over-looked in favor of uselessly offering other alternative definitions that no one will quite agree on to the alternative definitions we already have which no one ever quite agreed on to begin with. *which, perhaps, makes SotHG also a bit a head of the curve by not explicitly making use of the word Satan per se'

More importantly, in what way do you identify with the character of Satan?

Yes I think many Satanists fells the same like me when it comes to why they focus on Satan as a symbol. 

I don't say that religious people who perform ritual sacrifices are mentally ill or immature but I do think that people who killing animals during satanic ritual or drinking blood have psychiatric problems. They will leave it because they finds an other interest or focus on something else.

AK Mod
AK Jul 30

Quote from Don Luciferi

I don't say that religious people who perform ritual sacrifices are mentally ill or immature but I do think that people who killing animals during satanic ritual or drinking blood have psychiatric problems. 

I'm just saying stop and think about it for a second: they're perfectly sane as long as their rituals aren't "satanic" rituals? Not to mention, even if they explicitly refrained from labeling them satanic rituals, they would certainly be perceived as such - and quite accurately according to what the standards of satanic ritual generally connotes. Is it really the observed who gets to define what the word means, or the observer?
Don Luciferi
Don Luciferi Jul 30

Let us keep on the subject of SOTHG.

AK Mod
AK Jul 31
The founders of it both have excellent heads of hair. They offer rational occultism. They have a website. It is here: http://www.thesectofthehornedgod.com/

'pretty sure that covers everything.

The Forum post is edited by AK Jul 31
Don Luciferi
Don Luciferi Jul 31
I have been into their website and studied the 5 orders.
AK Mod
AK Jul 31
And your point is?
Don Luciferi
Don Luciferi Jul 31
Just to say I have been into their website. 
AK Mod
AK Jul 31
Ok. So, what was missing from their website that you were looking for the users of SIN to discuss with you that their own admins and user-base are either unqualified or unwilling to?
Don Luciferi
Don Luciferi Jul 31
What do you mean?
AK Mod
AK Jul 31
Do you believe there is something missing from their website about them that the users of SIN could explain better than their own members? If so, why?
Don Luciferi
Don Luciferi Jul 31
No I don't. I don't know the founders and the members.
AK Mod
AK Aug 1
I don't know them either, but I'm going to do them a solid by not suggesting you contact them.
Pages: « 1 2
Certain features and pages can only be viewed by registered users.

Join Now

Donate

This site is largely funded by donations. You can show your support by donating. Thanks. Every dollar helps.

Like and Share