Respect | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Philosophy/Politics
AK Mod
AK Aug 1
Simple question:

Is anyone owed respect? Why or why not?

Share:
Dark Enlightenment
That tired "respect is earned" line borders on platitude, despite it being valid. 

There is a semantic tinge to it as well. Respect can translate as either admiration of character or how people teach others to treat them.  Assuming the latter.

Everyone starts at count 0. The +/- from that point is more reflective of the ethos of the person judging.  No ubiquitous standard, though all seem to focus around interaction in "open territory".  

So yes, everyone deserves enough initial "respect" to start at a count of zero.  

Though in this context it's closer to "initial indifference", and probably listed as definition 2 or 3 in the dictionary.  

The Forum post is edited by Dark Enlightenment Aug 1
AK Mod
AK Aug 1
Simpler question: 

If I were to say to you that you owe me respect, how would you respond?

Dark Enlightenment

Well, I cant even handle taking direction from airport "traffic control" (because they are the rent-a-cops of the Harbor Police) so I have a problem with authority in general.

Assuming tabula rasa and not being attached to any threat I could simply lie and then go trash you on a passive-aggressive blog. There's no real downside to telling you to fuck off or not.

If you said, "Make a YouTube video in reverence to me or I'll ban your account", then I'd have reason to care, as you are holding something REAL over my head. 

At which point I might have to go cry to the website owner.

The Forum post is edited by Dark Enlightenment Aug 1
AK Mod
AK Aug 2
"Fuck off" was the answer I was looking for. We're talking general as-applies-to-life-in-general not whatever happens within a forum. 

The way I see it is that people confuse "basic human decency" with "respect", and that's always been weird to me - is if it's this binary option of respect or disrespect and nothing in between. 

For me, anyway, if I respect someone it's on account of some outstanding characteristic - the type of thing that gives me the warm and fuzzies concerning human potential and what not. Something earned. On the flip side, if I don't respect someone it's also on account of some sort of glaring deficiency or attribute that sets them below the MAR. Also something earned.

Whatever the case, it's not something people inherently "deserve" just for being alive or demanding however loudly that I have to respect them just for existing or having feelings. If that were the case then respect would mean literally nothing at all, which is what I'm driving it. 

The Forum post is edited by AK Aug 2
Anna
Anna Aug 2
People generally confuse respect with courtesy. Most social situations require courtesy. If you want to reach your destination, obeying orders of a custom officer could save you unnecessary troubles, unless he tells you to suck his dick. This has nothing to do with respect, which can't really be enforced.

Neither does it have anything to do with ass kissing. Let's say if you offered me $10 000, I could make a video or write a blog revering you as the most superb genius of the cyber land. If you doubled that sum, I could even say it with a straight face. But that would be a simple business deal. That's why I'm generally weary of superficial compliments. They make me want to ask one "OK. So what do you want?"

Mutual respect for me is based on honesty and directness. If I respect you, I care for your feelings and take your opinion into consideration. What you say and how you feel is important to me and I will take care not to hurt you. But if you do something that I will consider wrong, I will tell you about that. That's how I think one should show concern for anyone they cherish. Not with unconditional support and praise but with honesty.
AK Mod
AK Aug 2
I like think I sort of am one of the most superb genii out there in this digital valhalla. Assuming I'm wrong, how much would I really have to pay you to make saying as much worth it?
The Forum post is edited by AK Aug 2
Certain features and pages can only be viewed by registered users.

Join Now

Donate

This site is largely funded by donations. You can show your support by donating. Thanks. Every dollar helps.

Like and Share