A rather malicious demon | Forum

AK
AK Dec 17 '18
It's pretty simple: it's either indifferent or hostile. It can't be both. Pick one.

"love as anything other than hormones, and basically anything that isn't my skeptical untrusting viewpoint. " and so what if it is? If anything, that only speaks to the profundity of hormones. 

One could rightly extend this to the whole of the human experience - any and all aspects of it - without having moved very far at all in terms of being able to speak to the phenomenological essence or qualia of the thing.

Knowing how the watch works still brings one no closer to a genuine understanding of the nature of time than they were from the first. Or, better stated, knowing that words are just squiggles on a piece of paper or vibration patterns in the air does nothing at all to explain from whence meaning arises. What in your mind may seem as cynical material reductionism occurs to me as little more than dwelling on the obvious, and pedantically, I might add.

The Forum post is edited by AK Dec 17 '18
Dark Enlightenment
Dark Enlightenment Dec 17 '18
Indifference can be hostile.  

Suppose it was backwards land and some whore really fucking wanted me. But no one would tell me anything definitive other than it is "someone".  She knows, others know, but I dont. I am indifferent through plausible deniability.

I can then say, "I dont give a fuck about the dumb slut, they are undefined and therefore unimportant. My suggestion is she cut her wrist all nice and good." 

It is now indifference & hostility combined. Sorry, I really had to try to come up with that one... 

Anyway...

You are correct, Indifference does denote sentience, what about impersonal?

How about whatever goes with:

When the Air France concorde crashed into a French hotel, on board was a family. A man had saved 30 years to treat the entire family to the "trip of a lifetime"  just so a metal strip could blowout the tire and then pierce the fuel tank by the engine on takeoff. 

The Forum post is edited by Dark Enlightenment Dec 17 '18
AK
AK Dec 17 '18
"When the Air France concorde crashed into a French hotel, on board was a family. A man had saved 30 years to treat the entire family to the "trip of a lifetime"  just so a metal strip could blowout the tire and then pierce the fuel tank by the engine on takeoff."

It implies also that he lived at least 30 years with sufficient wealth to splurge and he also was afforded a family - which I wouldn't be wrong to assume he loved (hormones or whatever). Were it that in that instant the universe turned hostile, one would have to concede that is was most accommodating prior to that.

Alternatively, and much more likely, it's neither nor.

"The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -Stanley Kubrick

The Forum post is edited by AK Dec 17 '18
Dark Enlightenment
Dark Enlightenment Dec 17 '18
I once heard it said, "Indifference is the definition of evil", and I always really liked that. It takes the Christian quandary of, "why do bad things happen to good people" and crashes it into a hotel. The obvious answer to me has always been, "Because you are not special and nothing gives a fuck about you".

While it is my projection to paint it as indifferent or hostile, I also can't think of a better adjective. 

Per the example: Until the crash his life had been on the upswing.  Happiness, complete family lovey shit, he had it going. It takes indifferent/impersonal/hostile shit to generate dramatic change.  And while its only half the equation, its the most important half of the equation. No one pays much mind to the metaphorical 'rush' as it's happening.

For a random shooter's rampage victim you cant help but denote it as one of the above adjectives. 

Like I've said in the past there is a grand statistical level in the same way observed particles form a scatter plot you can draw a line down the middle of.  How and when  it scatters is unpredictable. 

The only regulator I can see, says take advantage when you are plus 15 for the times you are minus 20, because the most fucked of times make all the difference. 

Check back in a few months on that one. 

The Forum post is edited by Dark Enlightenment Dec 17 '18
AK
AK Dec 17 '18
"Indifference is the definition of evil" - it's not a bad platitude, and in some places apt. What I've lately taken a shine-to is that genuine evil requires empathy. Though seemingly contradictory at first, it makes a certain amount of sense in that if I know how I can be hurt, I then know what would hurt others. This knowledge facilities deliberate malice and cruelty - genuine evil. On the flip-side it is also what facilitates genuine benevolence; and for the same reasons.

I think "hostile" still implies a universe that holds mankind in a special regard, which is pillar of religious thinking. Whether that regard is for good or for ill is unimportant. Not to mention, I'd have to be the same special kind of conceited to think the universe is looking out for me in particular as I'd have to be to think the universe has it out for me and yet I somehow manage to persist in spite of that sentiment. 

There is, of course, a deeper sort of nihilistic despair to considered when one asserts the malevolence of creation - that the suffering one experiences is so great that one condemns being itself for even "being" - one which enacts its anguish in acts of random violence topped with a bullet to the head. Even so, that is still one's twisted projections acted-out onto the otherwise indifferent canvas that is the world. A projection of evil in its truest sense which the universe in all of its indifference allows. Indifferent? seemingly. Hostile? I'd be hesitant to make that claim.

Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Gird up your loins like a man,I will question you, and you shall declare to me. ‘Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?'

The Forum post is edited by AK Dec 18 '18
Pages: « 1 2

Like and Share

Certain features and pages can only be viewed by registered users.

Join Now

Donate

This site is largely funded by donations. You can show your support by donating. Thanks. Every dollar helps.