The Lucifer Effect | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » Philosophy/Politics
Obscura TITS
Obscura Sep 3 '18
I actually find Hell to be rather temperate in climate.  I much prefer Pandemonium to D.C. in September.  At least Hell is fun and not full of Republicans, or is it?
AK
AK Sep 3 '18
Hell, I think, is just hot enough to register complaints. No more. No less.
Obscura TITS
Obscura Sep 3 '18
You would keep it that way, but beware Flamin' Aym.  Aym has a tendency to light all your progress on fire, and I have heard he is the firebrand of Hell.
AK
AK Sep 3 '18
I once was involved (as-in responsible for) an actual forest fire once. That was a very long night.
Obscura TITS
Obscura Sep 3 '18
Oh man that sucks!  I'm always anal retentive of my friends smoking in national parks, due to family reasons.  I hate fire.  So much.
AK
AK Sep 3 '18
We'll talk later this week.
Obscura TITS
Obscura Sep 3 '18
OK AK
AK
AK Sep 3 '18
Grapes and toe nail clippers.
Obscura TITS
Obscura Sep 3 '18
I need them too :/  I forgot to get a pedicure today.  Demon talons.  At least I don't have fangs like you.
Newjlo
Newjlo Jan 1
The book "Bonobo and the Atheist" argues instead that humans are naturally moral. 

I think the truth is somewhere between: some people have stronger tendencies for cooperation, others stronger tendencies for non-cooperation, but these tend to pay a price (exclusion, incarceration, etc.) and so have been slowly bred out for the most part through evolution.

Also, one would need to define "evil". Protecting one's own may be either arbitrary or virtuous, depending on the circumstances. Many of our instincts and drive may "misfire" at times, but they emerged because these genes were rendering SOME service to our survival.

Anna
Anna Jan 1
What I find most fascinating about the Stanford Prison Experiment is the fact that its participants were so mindfucked by it that they forgot it was an experiment. Somehow this obvious thought that nobody kept them there by force and that they were at liberty to leave at any time didn't occur to them.
Dark Enlightenment

Quote from Newjlo The book "Bonobo and the Atheist" argues instead that humans are naturally moral. 

I think the truth is somewhere between: some people have stronger tendencies for cooperation, others stronger tendencies for non-cooperation, but these tend to pay a price (exclusion, incarceration, etc.) and so have been slowly bred out for the most part through evolution.

Also, one would need to define "evil". Protecting one's own may be either arbitrary or virtuous, depending on the circumstances. Many of our instincts and drive may "misfire" at times, but they emerged because these genes were rendering SOME service to our survival.

To that innate morality argument, cooperation and respect can only be ostensibly moral. 

I doubt the beta males are waiting for the alphas to eat because that is what lion jesus says.  They wait because they are less significant.  Disrupting the pecking order is disrupting the larger group.  All morals are based on recreating social casting on a scale too large to regulate without doctrine.  

In a monetized society, where the social strata is based on assets and accomplishment, cooperation (obeying legal and/or moral code) is a way to keep the lucifer principle enforced by a figurative eye of providence.  

The Forum post is edited by Dark Enlightenment Jan 1
AK
AK Jan 2
Worth mentioning is that the spirit of cooperation (or complicity i.e. doing one's job) is ambivalent to the benevolence or malevolence of the cause one is cooperating with. 

It's not as if when people cooperate, only good things come of it. They just as often cooperate and conform to appalling ends as they do making the world a better place. Herd conformity applies just as equally to the LDS as it did to the SS. 

"Somehow this obvious thought that nobody kept them there by force and that they were at liberty to leave at any time didn't occur to them." 

That's the real beauty of the experiment, I think. The over-whelming majority of people will, when confronted with a novel situation, do what everyone else is doing. I don't have to be too ham-fisted about this, either. You can see this when exiting an aircraft at an unfamiliar terminal where the signs are ambiguous or even misleading. You just follow the herd of other passengers assuming the majority of them are going where you're going. It usually sorts itself out as per our obedience to the wisdom of the crowd. 

Sometimes "the crowd" is wrong, and our reliance on it yields disaster. Most people are inclined to trust that over their own good-sense. Even those who know better are at times inclined to slip into default mode; mostly because it takes less effort and saves trouble.

Pages: « 1 2

Like and Share

Certain features and pages can only be viewed by registered users.

Join Now

Donate

This site is largely funded by donations. You can show your support by donating. Thanks. Every dollar helps.