Blog section error | Forum

Anna
Anna Dec 13 '21
Windows 10 sucks really. All the sites load faster on my phone than PC. There were many complaints about this site being phone unfriendly but that doesn't happen on my phone.

I miss Windows 7. It was nice, fast and orderly. Here, on Win 10, you can't find anything.

Cornelius Coburn
Cornelius Coburn Dec 14 '21
I remember a friend I used to talk to a lot on another forum said something similar about navigation being all over the place. They got it free as an upgrade and still didn't like it. For them though Windows 8 was their thing and they went back to using that.

Handheld devices just seem too alien for me, but I suppose it's appropriate for someone on the go a lot. For the things I do I prefer a BIG screen. The Gateway that I bought back in '05 I paired with a pretty decent 22" display that is still goin' pretty good to this day.

Anna
Anna Dec 14 '21
You know there are phones with bigger screens too.
Cornelius Coburn
Cornelius Coburn Dec 15 '21
A little bigger I guess. I actually just got a new phone, but I don't use them for much. Maybe for occasional calls, to take with me on trips, or for emergencies which is why the last phone was shit. They made it damn near impossible to disable enough stuff to keep the battery from going dead in a couple days even when you're no using it. I figured in the end the only way was just to turn it the fuck off.

I couldn't use a phone for everything. They have their purpose and I still like the desktops.

Anna
Anna Dec 15 '21
I use the internet more on my phone. It's just more convenient for me but this is all the matter of individual preferences. Not everyone is into mobile technology. My auntie has an old-fashioned phone but all her friends have smartphones or iphones. And they keep laughing at her and encouraging her to buy a smartphone. She doesn't want to so they tell her she's not progressive enough.
Cornelius Coburn
I suppose I'm like auntie in some ways. I remember the old rotary phones, and then the push-button, and then cordless. The landline phones were more reliable but a lot less convenient and versatile.
Cornelius Coburn
It's really insane how fast technology has progress, all except for combustion technology.
Anna
Anna Dec 15 '21
Nostalgia. 

Get off the internet because I need to use the phone - says mommy.

Cornelius Coburn
I remember when baud rates were a thing. I started at 14.4 Kbps, and then it was 28.8 to 56 Kb Sec and then DSL became the standard.
The Forum post is edited by Cornelius Coburn Dec 16 '21
Cornelius Coburn
Cornelius Coburn Dec 16 '21
The most insane ETA I recall was (attempting) downloading CD Image(ISO) files back in the day, and although the measurement was in weeks, it might well have been thousands of years because either way I wasn't getting involved with it, but if I remember right I believe the relevant parts were stored on the image as '.VOB' files which were also quite large, but not as.

- akin to separating the wheat from the chaff, but still had a ways to go.

The Forum post is edited by Cornelius Coburn Dec 16 '21
Cornelius Coburn
Cornelius Coburn Dec 17 '21
RE : Internet Nostalgia Continued

Once upon a time I ran my own little ISP business, although it wasn't really a business but was very small, indeed. It consisted of a single internet server running Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I had two modems. One was for connecting the server to the internet, and the other was for dial-up - I said it was small.

The catalyst for this was that my boss gave me a copy to install so I could learn the software and help him with his business and debugging the server software, and I suppose I went a bit beyond.

I even had one customer for a while. They didn't have internet at the time so for fun I let them use my dial-up server.

FollowTheMorningStar
So this apparently has never been fixed?
Pages: « 1 2 3
Satanic International Network was created by Zach Black in 2009.
Certain features and pages can only be viewed by registered users.

Join Now

Spread the Word. Help Us Grow

Share:

Donate - PayPal