New garden | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Discussion
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 9 '17
I recently moved (about 1year and a half ago) and since I've been here I haven't planted anything, the reasoning being a combination of shitty soil which I didn't have the energy for, bad weather, and feeling a bit depressed because of details regarding the need for me to move. Last year was the first year in probably 6-7 years where I didn't plant and it really took its toll on me during the winter. This past week I am starting to feel like myself again so I've been dedicating about 3-4 hours a day in my new garden which is actually starting to show potential. I don't know if I'm alone in this interest here but I figured if any one else enjoys gardening and would like to talk about it this would be a fun conversation, and if anyone's interested I will post some pics here.
Share:
quael
quael Mar 10 '17
I'm not too much of a gardener myself, however, I would like to start one someday. Any tips? Also, which fruits/vegetables do you plant?
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 10 '17

Quote from quael I'm not too much of a gardener myself, however, I would like to start one someday. Any tips? Also, which fruits/vegetables do you plant?
My biggest tip would be to research the climate you live in and work with it instead of against it, for example where I live winter is essentially two months (December and January) so its very important for me to get things sowed earlier than what they advertise because soon the high heat will dry up the soil too much to fight against. Just to give you a example, I live behind a ditch that's connected to our river and its so dry we have cactus growing wild on the walls of it. You should look up what zone you live in as well, it basically is a way of letting you know the average last frost and average first frost of the year in your location. The plants I grow are specific to my location as well, peppers, watermelons, beans, corn, tomatoes, and squash are apart of my garden. My main tip for plants would be to grow a lot of beans even if you don't love the taste, beans restore nitrogen to the soil which is used up by other plants. I learned to garden form my godmother who was a native american and they taught their people to grow corn, squash, and beans close together which they called the three sister's. The corn acts as a trellis, the squash is a sort of ground cover and out competes weeds, and the beans will climb the corn and restore nitrogen to the soil. Sorry if this is annoyingly long but I could ramble for hours.
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 18 '17

Quote from Zoramonkey Hey Anton I actually like the long posts, but as you can see from my posts I do that myself 
Yes very informative that way, at least that's my Intention's.
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 18 '17
this is some pics of succulents and the preparation for my new 4 garden beds.
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 27 '17
https://youtu.be/xlWFCbwt7So

Here's my first garden update/tour from my YouTube channel.

neyamiko
neyamiko Mar 27 '17
I've always admired people who have a talent for gardening. Me unfortunately have a brown thumb. I do love plants orchids being my favorite. Actually I have a few potted orchids that are doing ok so maybe I'm not as brown as I think! LOL

AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 27 '17

Quote from neyamiko I've always admired people who have a talent for gardening. Me unfortunately have a brown thumb. I do love plants orchids being my favorite. Actually I have a few potted orchids that are doing ok so maybe I'm not as brown as I think! LOL

haha anybody can learn, I personally think growing our own food is something we can all connect with by our instincts. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
neyamiko
neyamiko Mar 27 '17
my problem with plants is unlike animals they can not come and get me when they need watered and I often forget to water them.

The orchids are perfect as a little neglect is actually good for them. I said a little. That doesn't mean never look at the plant again! But yes that seems to be my main problem with gardening.
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 27 '17

Quote from neyamiko my problem with plants is unlike animals they can not come and get me when they need watered and I often forget to water them.

The orchids are perfect as a little neglect is actually good for them. I said a little. That doesn't mean never look at the plant again! But yes that seems to be my main problem with gardening.
that would probably be one of the first obstacles to get over hahaha. My godmother was native american so growing our food was always really important to her, because of growing up like that I'm sort of the opposite I eat breakfast in my garden, meditate, and sort of hang out and observe them everyday.
neyamiko
neyamiko Mar 27 '17
No no I love gardens too. My father is an excellent gardener. I just lack the focus it takes to maintain one. Other wise I LOVE plants. Most are beautiful. Although I would debate that poison oak is not pretty.
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 27 '17

Quote from neyamiko No no I love gardens too. My father is an excellent gardener. I just lack the focus it takes to maintain one. Other wise I LOVE plants. Most are beautiful. Although I would debate that poison oak is not pretty.
funny you mention that because my mind is for some reason naturally drawn to poisonous plants and I tend to find them quite beautiful, actually if I find myself very attracted to a plant I don't know then I make myself give it space until further research. Its become a sort of joke that if I am interested in a plant then it will most likely kill you, but i like some harmless ones like orchids as well.
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 30 '17

Quote from Zoramonkey Yea I wish I lived in a climate arid enough to cultivate Balm of Gilead or Ditany of Crete, or a dense high altitude forest where I could cultivate ginseng of sufficient quality.
Mycology is something that I have a big interest in so if I could live in a place with a forest near by that had several species then I would be very happy. Living in orange county my favourite thing is probably our orange trees, we don't water or fertilize them and they'll yield too much for even a big family to eat.
Satanic International Network was created by Zach Black in 2009.
Certain features and pages can only be viewed by registered users.

Join Now

Spread the Word. Help Us Grow

Share:

Donate - PayPal

This site is largely funded by donations. You can show your support by donating. Thanks. Every dollar helps. You need not a PayPal to donate either just a debit or credit card.