What/who is Satan? | Forum

ShadowLover Member
ShadowLover Oct 20 '15
As a newbie here... And as somebody that doesn't believe in God... What is a Satan? Being raised in a Christian society, I only understand him to be Lucifer - an angel who was sent to reign over the Earth and teach the people about choice? So who or what is a Satan?
Share:
ShadowLover Member
ShadowLover Oct 20 '15
FraterLuciferi... So is it an angel or a thought form or an alien do you think?

Shawn
Shawn Oct 20 '15
Here's  hint: When a LaVeyan says "Hail Satan" it really means "Hail Me". Thus it's use as a greeting.
Troll Member
Troll Oct 20 '15

ShadowLover, a Satan is an entity or office whose role is being an adversary. The Christian adversary is a frankenstein composite drawn from Jewish and Christian documents. This occurred as an editing amendation to Isaiah (via Jerome) for 'Lucifer' and 'Satan' as 'insert' to Christian scripture and doctrine.

While the term 'satan' or 'shaitan' is generic for 'adversary', as an office this is brought out in the text called "Job" where the angel fulfilling the office serves the Jehovah god as a kind of district attorney. All other references appear to be fraudulent or contrived (including the Christian 'Lucifer' construct).

Note, "Job" also is a fiction, and should in no way be seen as a historical narration. Its interest is cautionary or advisory and instructive against presuming one's integrity to the cult and being without fault.

The Lucifer stories were constructed by Christians (not Jews) deriving for their basis from the pseudepigrapha of Noah and Enoch, which do not at all mention any "Lucifer" entity, but their proponent rebels were those such as "Semyaza".

Christian gospel narratives have "Satan" as a kind of antagonist initiator or tempter of the Jesus character, numerous stories of which were told in oral tales before being committed to writings. Still later the Satan name is given to a powerful antagonist within the Johannine apocalyptic material ("Revelations").

Zach Black Owner
Zach Black Oct 20 '15
I think LaVey popularized the whole hail Satan thing. I personally do not use it. I think it is corny.
Zach Black Owner
Zach Black Oct 20 '15
Satan is a mythological symbol. He is also a archetype. He is a manifestation. Instinct . He is a current and a force. He is the shadow of the night. And he is

Smelly Cat Member
Smelly Cat Oct 20 '15
Satan's a great many things, all of them badass and cool. From God's accusing Angel, to the ancient demon Pazuzu to the guy in Bill and Ted's Bogus journey and star of many a Heavy Metal album cover. For me he's an embodiment of the darker energies and symbolic of rebellion and dissent, the ultimate wise guy flicking the bird to the helpless do gooding sheep.
Troll Member
Troll Oct 20 '15

Quote from Zach Black I think LaVey popularized the whole hail Satan thing. I personally do not use it. I think it is corny.
It wouldn't surprise me if it preceded LaVey, but at least its format in signaling or saluting leaders and rulers preceded him by centuries. Two which come to mind (not admirable!):

• "HAIL CAESAR!"

and

• "HEIL HITLER!"

Thus if it was supposed to be arch and transgressive (LaVey, a Jew, would have known about this), perhaps complicating further with "Might Is Right" from Redbeard, then taking it seriously now might be odd or uninformed.
The Forum post is edited by Troll Oct 20 '15
ShadowLover Member
ShadowLover Oct 20 '15
Thank for your input, everybody. : )
Satanic International Network was created by Zach Black in 2009.
Certain features and pages can only be viewed by registered users.

Join Now

Spread the Word. Help Us Grow

Share:

Donate - PayPal