What is the Occult? | Forum

orange_juice
orange_juice Mar 28 '17
Hey guys,

I have no idea really what the occult is or where to start with it but I'm really interested. I have some questions about it:

1. What is it? What's it about?

2. Does it have anything to do with cults? (probably a silly question)

3. I'm sure it's more of a book thing than anything else, what books should I read?

I've read the satanic bible by Anton LaVey and found myself looking into a mirror and now consider myself a satanist. But I sometimes wonder if there is more out there.

-orange_juice

Share:
orange_juice
orange_juice Mar 28 '17

thanks for the reply but what do you mean by the satanic bible has nothing to do with satanism? my understanding is that satanism (at lest laveyan) is a philosophy based around the image of satan who represents passion, carnality etc.

orange_juice
orange_juice Mar 28 '17
thank you zoramonkey,

i dont really know actually but i know I've looked at sacred geometry before and I found that really interesting. 

I like the idea of there being some fundamental patterns to the world. I'm interested in psychology and humans to. any suggestions?

orange_juice
orange_juice Mar 28 '17

Quote from FraterLuciferi
Quote from orange_juice

thanks for the reply but what do you mean by the satanic bible has nothing to do with satanism? my understanding is that satanism (at lest laveyan) is a philosophy based around the image of satan who represents passion, carnality etc.

Satanic bibles are impossible because Satan is a god character that rejects any authorities in the myths from different cultures like hebrew, sumerian, 
egypt, persian or norse etc. 
thanks again. i dont want to sound accusational at all but have you read it? its all about the rejection of religion, sprituality and myth. 
quael
quael Mar 28 '17

Quote from orange_juice
thanks again. i dont want to sound accusational at all but have you read it? its all about the rejection of religion, sprituality and myth. 

Yes, TSB was the first book I read on Satanism and if the book was objective about Satanism I would have discovered I was a Satanist when I read it... The problem with TSB is that it mislead people to believe that Satanism is some sort of atheist movement. It's bullshit. Satanism is a religion and those Satanists who consider Satan to be a symbol or archetype are known as symbolic or modern Satanists.
>Satanism is a religion

>Those that see Satan as a symbol are Modern Satanists

>Modern Satanist = Modern Satanism = Satanism

Who's your dealer, mate?

quael
quael Mar 28 '17

Quote from orange_juice

Satanic bibles are impossible because Satan is a god character that rejects any authorities in the myths from different cultures like hebrew, sumerian, 
egypt, persian or norse etc. 
Mate, have you even seen Star Wars? 
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 28 '17

Quote from orange_juice

Yes, TSB was the first book I read on Satanism and if the book was objective about Satanism I would have discovered I was a Satanist when I read it... The problem with TSB is that it mislead people to believe that Satanism is some sort of atheist movement. It's bullshit. Satanism is a religion and those Satanists who consider Satan to be a symbol or archetype are known as symbolic or modern Satanists.
it seems you have a big beef with atheistic/spiritual satanist even though this website is predominantly dominated by them, and if Satan is a god character from the myths then why couldn't he be worshiped symbolically? Could you site your sources while explaining your knowledge of the history of Satanism, it would only aid those new here.
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 28 '17

Quote from orange_juice Hey guys,

I have no idea really what the occult is or where to start with it but I'm really interested. I have some questions about it:

1. What is it? What's it about?

2. Does it have anything to do with cults? (probably a silly question)

3. I'm sure it's more of a book thing than anything else, what books should I read?

I've read the satanic bible by Anton LaVey and found myself looking into a mirror and now consider myself a satanist. But I sometimes wonder if there is more out there.

-orange_juice

You are not alone in wondering, satanism isn't really a final destination but a stepping stone in your constantly evolving path. I'm no expert but my advice would be to ask questions and bury your head in books of all sorts.
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 29 '17

Quote from AntonDahmer
it seems you have a big beef with atheistic/spiritual satanist

No, symbolic Satanists and traditional Satanists are of the same religion, so I consider them both to be my religious brothers and sisters. My problem is only CoS and TSB. Many symbolic Satanists left CoS and created other organisations such as the satanic temple and the sect of the horned god. When it comes to the history of Satanism then we can only conclude that Satan, the LHP and the pentagram predates even monotheism which leads me to believe that Satanism is one of the oldest religions in the world. 
Source?
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 29 '17

Quote from AntonDahmer
Quote from AntonDahmer
it seems you have a big beef with atheistic/spiritual satanist

No, symbolic Satanists and traditional Satanists are of the same religion, so I consider them both to be my religious brothers and sisters. My problem is only CoS and TSB. Many symbolic Satanists left CoS and created other organisations such as the satanic temple and the sect of the horned god. When it comes to the history of Satanism then we can only conclude that Satan, the LHP and the pentagram predates even monotheism which leads me to believe that Satanism is one of the oldest religions in the world. 
Source?
One of the oldest religions would have a lot of sources to site, don't you think?
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Mar 29 '17

Quote from AntonDahmer 
One of the oldest religions would have a lot of sources to site, don't you think?

Sources of the roots of Satan, the LHP and the pentagram? 

You claimed that Satan, LHP and the pentagram predates monotheism, shouldn't a claim like that be followed by some source to support this assertion? There is a big difference between you stating your opinion on a  topic and making a truth claim about the world which should be scrutinized in the absence of a supporting body of evidence, I'm not even going into whether or not I agree with you because this is just a basic notion when discussing these topics that you seem to consistently glance over.
orange_juice
orange_juice Apr 1 '17
it doesnt matter what it originally meant, some people interpret it differently and use the symbol in their own way
pyro
pyro Apr 2 '17

Satanism is a religion and not a philosophy. 
Prove the satanism is a religion and not a philosophy and state your source.
orange_juice
orange_juice Apr 2 '17
I'm gona make it real simple.

Those who agree with LaVey = LaVeyan Satanist

Devil Worshippers = Theistic satanist

along with all the other types.

so, if you agree with lavey, you are a type of satanist.

pyro
pyro Apr 2 '17
That's not a valid source 
pyro
pyro Apr 2 '17
To make a valid point you can not use the phrase it is when "we talk about religion" you need to bring up the history of your religion when it started i.e year,century and the people that started it. 
The Forum post is edited by pyro Apr 2 '17
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Apr 2 '17

Quote from pyro To make a valid point you can not use the phrase it is when "we talk about religion" you need to bring up the history of your religion when it started i.e year,century and the people that started it. 

Satanism in ancient times was cults as any mythology has a version of Satan (Seth or Arihman for example). It was first during the rise of the hippie movement it was safely to unite these cults into a religion. The problem with CoS is that it has destroyed Satanism after the creation of TSB and satanic statements. Nothing is more oxymoronic than "satanic statements" and "satanic bible"!
Name something you have actually studied about Set or Arihman, and any feelings you might have experienced on a personal level doesn't interest me. It seems the only actual observable historical facts you can spew out could be obtained from watching a documentary about the Church of Satan or glancing over the Satanic Bible while simultaneously plotting in your mind to call it bullshit online in hopes to be perceived as the edgy one. Please try to answer this directly and restrain yourself from your giving an opinion on a truth claim, Why do you consider Set or Arihman a version on Satan? Btw if I am correct in assuming your lack of academic studying then I would recommend reading some Michael Ford, your posts seem to be the poor mans version of his work.
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Apr 3 '17

You clearly don't understand the point... Satan is not one character but an umbrella of a group of god characters that were rebels and accusers.

Prove it
AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Apr 3 '17

You clearly don't understand the point... Satan is not one character but an umbrella of a group of god characters that were rebels and accusers.

http:///.../Burden-of-Proof.htm

This is an introductory lesson to having an intelligent debate about something, don't make a claim and then back it up with your opinion. Give me actual historical evidence to prove what you just said, not your personal point of view.

AntonDahmer
AntonDahmer Apr 3 '17

Quote from AntonDahmer 
Name something you have actually studied about Set or Arihman, and any feelings you might have experienced on a personal level doesn't interest me. It seems the only actual observable historical facts you can spew out could be obtained from watching a documentary about the Church of Satan or glancing over the Satanic Bible while simultaneously plotting in your mind to call it bullshit online in hopes to be perceived as the edgy one. Please try to answer this directly and restrain yourself from your giving an opinion on a truth claim, Why do you consider Set or Arihman a version on Satan? Btw if I am correct in assuming your lack of academic studying then I would recommend reading some Michael Ford, your posts seem to be the poor mans version of his work.

Study and learn about the history of Satan.
 I'm not responsible for your ignorance. Satan is promoted as the adversary, the rebel and the accuser derived from the ancient hebrew Ha-Satan. You have no sources to base your views on because you have no authority to hide behind. Satan is and will be the only source to the satanic religion! No dogma, no bibles, no authorities and no rules!
Is this you telling us that the voice in your head is all the proof that is needed? Jesus its like debating a fundamentalist, your using the same reasoning!
Pages: 1 2 3 »
Certain features and pages can only be viewed by registered users.

Join Now

Like and Share

Donate - PayPal

This site is largely funded by donations. You can show your support by donating. Thanks. Every dollar helps. You need not a PayPal to donate either just a debit or credit card.