The Mandela Effect and Other Interesting Fiction | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Discussion
Brother Shamus
My mom was one of the people who thought they remembered. In fact I remember her screaming when he was being released, "He died in the 80's". Or maybe that is a false memory as well.

But as a stoner, my mind takes it to Slater in Dazed and Confused like places.

Like my opening line for this thread:

If backwards time travel was possible, and not in violation of EVERYTHING, we would already be experiencing the effects... I mean, unless determinism is bullshit, in which case ignore this thread. 

The Forum post is edited by Brother Shamus Nov 6
Share:
AK Mod
AK Nov 7
I tend to lean toward a purely probabilistic and indeterministic assessment of "the universe" - and I say this because not only is it that it may be impracticable to factor-in all the variables necessary to feed a deterministic model, but also and particularly that the variables necessary to do so are not instantiated at the time of inquiry; and they won't be until the exact instant prior to the event.

In simpler terms: not only do we often lack the capacity to process every variable involved in calculating a deterministic outcome, but also that some of the relevant variables remain undefined up until the moment prior to the outcome.

Not to mention that in a purely deterministic system there is no personal accountability for anything. This leads to something far more contemptible than Nihilism: Quietism. So even if determinism is the truth of things (and may well be for all I or anyone else can prove) pragmatism affords the discarding of impracticable truths in favor of outcome. Objectively the universe may be deterministic, but from a  phenomenological perspective it makes no sense to treat it that way.

To your original point: if time travel is possible, we'd be none-the-wiser. I, personally, hypothesize that we do exist outside of time - we just lack the processing power to cope with reality on these terms. Similar to how single-celled organisms simply sense light and dark. The eyes and visual cortex took a very, very, very long time to get where they are today. Some species simply never had the need to evolve them. The world as experienced is symbol - at best - of what is necessary to perceive. It is possible we exist in eternity (outside of time) but it's simpler and more efficient to process the corporeal this way. 

It - what is perceived - is an "illusion", but in the sense that the folders on your desktop are an illusion. Symbolic representations of an incomprehensible process designed with expedience of experience in mind. (i.e. it takes a lot of assembler to copy a file to a folder... who has time to memorize that - and that's still two levels of abstraction ABOVE what is actually taking place at the hardware level)

The Forum post is edited by AK Nov 7
Certain features and pages can only be viewed by registered users.

Join Now

Donate

This site is largely funded by donations. You can show your support by donating. Thanks. Every dollar helps.