"Ownership" politics of the Sigil of Baphomet | Forum

Crystal Walters
Crystal Walters Aug 22 '14
Just trying to clear up some confusion in my mind; I occasionally see people whom seem to identify as Theistic Satanists making use of the Lavey "Sigil of Baphomet", whether it be on a flag, altar cloth, or in their facebook or other social networking profile pic.

It was my impression - please let me know if I'm wrong - that the sigil of Baphomet was a symbol owned and copyrighted by CoS, and that adoption of it by Theistic Satanists was frowned upon, if not ground for outright verbal reaming by the CoS crowd.

I'm curious of the opinions on this subject by Satanists, both Theistic and Atheistic. Is it much ado about nothing, or something one should be very careful to avoid falling afoul of?
Share:
Crystal Walters
Crystal Walters Aug 22 '14
Man, that is seriously messed up to be perfectly honest.
Khandnalie Member
Khandnalie Aug 22 '14
The CoS does own the copyright for the sigil they use, though it's easy enough to get around. Pretty much any Sigil  of Baphomet that isn't exactly theirs is free to use. Personally, I just like the plain pentagram, but that's just me. 
Khandnalie Member
Khandnalie Aug 22 '14

Quote from Belphegor [[quote=Khandnalie]]Personally, I just like the plain pentagram, but that's just me. [[/quote]] No just you. I love the Pentagram of Set. The original Pentagram in a black background without touching the circle.
Indeed. I tend to like the pentagram circumscribed touching the circle. Additionally, I like the intersecting lines to 'weave' together, clearly showing which line is in top. I think that gives it a sort of Ouroboros feel, and to me it just feels more complex and complete. 
Andrew Young
Andrew Young Aug 22 '14
http://www.churchofsatan.com/...of-baphomet.php ;

They show you the image from which their Sigil of Baphomet was copied. The image they trademarked was a new rendering of it, made more symmetrically perfect and with a few minor alterations. If you draw your own version of it you won't be violating their trademark because it will be as different from theirs as theirs is from the original just by virtue of having been done by a different hand.

The Forum post is edited by Andrew Young Aug 22 '14
Zach Black Owner
Zach Black Aug 22 '14

Quote from MalyndraCrow It was my impression - please let me know if I'm wrong - that the sigil of Baphomet was a symbol owned and copyrighted by CoS, and that adoption of it by Theistic Satanists was frowned upon, if not ground for outright verbal reaming by the CoS crowd.
The CoS can not copyright the Baphomet sigil. They did not create it. It was around well before the CoS.
Jack Smile
Jack Smile Aug 28 '14

Quote from Zach_Black
Quote from MalyndraCrow It was my impression - please let me know if I'm wrong - that the sigil of Baphomet was a symbol owned and copyrighted by CoS, and that adoption of it by Theistic Satanists was frowned upon, if not ground for outright verbal reaming by the CoS crowd.
The CoS can not copyright the Baphomet sigil. They did not create it. It was around well before the CoS.

They did copyright one version of it as their official logo of sorts (I tried to find the patent but wikipedia link was outdated) [citation needed].

Change a few details (like the band Cradle of Filth did) and it's perfectly legal and technically not the same.
Epicurus Member
Epicurus Aug 29 '14
"The Sigil of Baphomet is the official insignium of the Church of Satan, and is trademarked by the organization. Variations are also used by several other organizations, usually those associated with Satanism and the Left-Hand Path." From  Wikipedia.   The idea I think it came from the Moses era   Leviticus 17:7  "7 So they shall no more sacrifice their sacrifices to goat demons, after whom they whore. This shall be a statute forever for them throughout their generations."   
The Forum post is edited by Epicurus Aug 29 '14
Vold3mortia
Vold3mortia Aug 29 '14

I don't really know. But the idea could be originating from the lesser key of Solomon and then the CoS improved upon it.

I hardly believe that a person can actually come up with the idea, without inspiration whatsoever.

Smelly Cat Member
Smelly Cat Sep 6 '14
Writing Cease and Desist letters, boring essays and emails is all Gilmore's good for. The CoS since 1997 is what LaVey's estate settlement made it, a lacklustre sham in the hands of people he never saw fit to handle the responsibility while he was alive. Gilmore is all about clawing as much legitimacy as he can for an organisation he bought off Sharon Densely when she needed quick money. He's almost autistic in his running of the CoS with none of the charisma, creativity, style and, let's face it, Satanic-ness of LaVey. His time is dedicated to slating any other organisation that gets more attention than his, SIN, TOS, 600 club etc in an attempt to prove he's the leader of the only Satanic gang in town. He's a lamentably pathetic character and the only thing more so would be the saps parting with $200 a pop to join. The Sigil of Baphomet belongs to everyone who wants it.
Lord Moloch
Lord Moloch Sep 21 '14
The sigil of baphomet is not COS ownership because they did not create it. It is an invocation tool created by the occultist Stanislas De Guaita 1899.  Invocation and evocation are magical acts and use sigils to contact those deities and demons the magician want. It is like a phone number.
The Forum post is edited by Lord Moloch Sep 21 '14
Certain features and pages can only be viewed by registered users.

Join Now

Like and Share

Donate - PayPal

This site is largely funded by donations. You can show your support by donating. Thanks. Every dollar helps. You need not a PayPal to donate either just a debit or credit card.