Prove Me Wrong: Magick and Psychology are the Same | Forum

ShadowLover Member
ShadowLover Jan 7 '16
Pretty cool how the writer and Offspring share the same concepts. lol.

"I suppose I should note that there's some people who take this sort of misappropriation literally and still get a lot out of it, so long as they are separate from academics. As myth it's useful, as science, it will get you laughed out of a lab. You gotta keep 'em separated."

I don't separate spirituality and Science - in my mind they are the same thing. Why should I have to? Or are you referring to myths as being theories without formulas as opposed to the science which has proper proven formulas, perhaps? 

"The Village" was a good movie about myths.
Hartnell
Hartnell Jan 8 '16

@Shadowlover:

"The Village" was a great movie on many levels. I wouldn't say that it's so much about myths -- it's useful to take it as a myth.

"I don't separate spirituality and Science - in my mind they are the same thing. Why should I have to? Or are you referring to myths as being theories without formulas as opposed to the science which has proper proven formulas, perhaps? "

What I meant by the "misappropriation of scientific terms used as myth" (as it's used in the article you linked) is that the science isn't science. In fact, it's got little to do with the original meaning of the terms within the context they originated and are used. However, there is a kind of meaning conveyed even if that meaning has nothing to do with actual "quantum physics" and as such, it creates confusion for people who think the mythic use and the scientific use of the terms are one in the same. You gotta keep 'em separated.

The Forum post is edited by Hartnell Jan 8 '16
ShadowLover Member
ShadowLover Jan 8 '16
I thought "The Village" gave a great example of how myths and legends can take form.

As for mythical science... I guess it is something which people like me who lack education need to be aware of. I wasn't looking for this article - I just happened across it and it competently expressed some of the stuff I think about. I know you are not a fan of physics, but ever since I was young I have had that experience. ...I will think of something which my peers don't comprehend and have no interest in and then I will see it on a physics documentary or read about it in a physicist's blurb. But I think I understand things from a physicist's point of view - I just need more education so I can express and explain it properly and make better use of my thoughts. If I don't, I might eventually end up writing mythical scientific proposals. Well at least I am middle-aged and need glasses occasionally - that should give my theories some merit! ; )
Hartnell
Hartnell Jan 8 '16

Quote from ShadowLover I I thought "The Village" gave a great example of how myths and legends can take form.

How so? 

Quote from ShadowLover I
As for mythical science... I guess it is something which people like me who lack education need to be aware of. I wasn't looking for this article - I just happened across it and it competently expressed some of the stuff I think about. I know you are not a fan of physics, but ever since I was young I have had that experience. ...I will think of something which my peers don't comprehend and have no interest in and then I will see it on a physics documentary or read about it in a physicist's blurb. But I think I understand things from a physicist's point of view - I just need more education so I can express and explain it properly and make better use of my thoughts. If I don't, I might eventually end up writing mythical scientific proposals. Well at least I am middle-aged and need glasses occasionally - that should give my theories some merit! ; )

Where did you get the idea that I wasn't a physics fan? Ok, so I'm not a fanboy, or know enough about physics to pass a first year highschool class, but I do use quite a few physics ideas and concepts as analogies to express psychological ideas. My two favorites are how atoms are arranged in magnets and net force.

And this has made me realize something I'm off to write up. :)

ShadowLover Member
ShadowLover Jan 8 '16
@Hartnell. Well "The Village" if we are talking about the same movie with Joaquin Phoenix and Adrian Brody and Sigourney Weaver i think... They created the myth among the people that red attracted the monsters that lived in the woods and that if you stayed within the safe area you would not be harmed. The myth was created to control the behaviour of the residents of the village.

Physics - When you spoke about psychology in comparison to physics I thought you found physicists frustrating and laughable. Did I misunderstand? Text can do that sometimes...
The Forum post is edited by ShadowLover Apr 14 '16
JicNikk Member
JicNikk Jan 10 '16
I think you mean Bryce Dallas Howard..  I can see the relation you're trying to make with mythology.. I just wish there was a better example than Shamalongadingdong's junk.  O wait.. Big Fish!  Myth created to keep a man's ego alive and larger than life regardless if people believed him or not yet still drew inspiration from him.  Social Vampirism at its finest!
Hartnell
Hartnell May 19 '16

Quote from WolfMoon I haven't read all the replies in this thread, but I would say that magic is in a sense applied psychology.

It does seem to cause change in objective reality, but all this proves is the power of the mind, the psyche, not necessarily the supernatural.

The subjective mind can create all manner of what is apparently supernatural, such as an out-of-body experience or seeing an entity in the ritual chamber. But it appears the source of this is the mind itself.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clark

In essence, magic is a "mental technology".
Holy shit, man. Well said.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5
Certain features and pages can only be viewed by registered users.

Join Now

Like and Share

Donate - PayPal

This site is largely funded by donations. You can show your support by donating. Thanks. Every dollar helps. You need not a PayPal to donate either just a debit or credit card.

Satanic International Network was created by Zach Black in 2009 and is currently the most widely used social networking site for Satanists of its kind.